HDMI 2.1 - tons of bandwidth

Not one to stay stagnant, the HDMI Forum released their newest 2.1 spec with a waterfall of 48Gbps bandwidth to play with. But how does this improve our moving pictures today? For me at least, I can now display my project at a full 4K60p 4:4:4 12-bit. Yes that's a full 3840x2160 at 60 frames per second and no chroma subsampling all in 12-bit precision. Or in other words the highest quality output the Blackmagic URSA MINI 4K will produce. And even 4K120p for when I jump to the RED Raven bandwagon.

And for tomorrow? 8K60p 12-bit with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. The spec also includes this at 4:4:4 with DSC (Display Stream Compression) which is 'visually lossless' but I'll dive into that in another post.


You can see that 10K is also supported but I strongly believe that it will be more of an acquisition and editing resolution just like 5K versus a broadcast/delivery resolution like 4K/8K.

Popular Posts